Walk The Walks on Whangarei Heads-Free!
There are wonderful walks here at Whangarei Heads, mostly on land owned by The Department of Conservation (DOC), the Bream Head Scenic Reserve or Whangarei District Council . Most are also part of Te Araroa, the walk which stretches the full length of New Zealand -from North Cape, North Island to the Bluff, South Island. Many are bush walks with great sea views in places, and will take a few hours. You can choose to walk any of them, enjoy the wonderful scenery, and it will not cost you a cent. All of the walks referred to are provided free of charge for walkers. Use the accommodation listed on this site as your base for 'Walking The Walks' on Whangarei Heads.
There are two shorter ones (20 mins approximately) :the Smugglers Bay walk is over open grassland, and the Reotahi Point walk is following the coast. They are easily accessible and have parking areas. The best news of course is that it will cost you nothing to walk the walks! Base yourself at any of the listed accommodations here on Whangarei Heads and choose your walk. Don’t forget the camera as the views are often breathtaking!
Here is a list of walks hyperlinked to official websites with estimated walking time and distance indicated
- SmugglersCove– an easy 20 minute walk straight over the saddle from the car park to a fabulous beach.
- Busby Head Track – 1 hour loop. An easy walk takes you around Busby Head to Smugglers Bay, passing the WW2 gun emplacement at Home Point.
- Mount Manaia Track 3.5kms - the ultimate climb in the area for bush and views. Approx 3 hours
- Peach Cove Track 3.6kms – a rather steep 2 hour track over a saddle to a secluded cove
- Bream Head/ Te Whara Track 7.5kms-a reasonable level of fitness, skill and experience is needed to walk the main tracks at Bream Head. 5 hours + of hard steep tramping with Iinks to several other tracks.
- Pataua Island Track- a short walk that skirts the Pataua estuary and goes to a lovely beach.The walk is flat and easy
- Reotahi Point Walk – a 30 minute walk from Reotahi Beach to Little Munro Bay
- Mt Aubrey Track – 1.5 – 2 hours loop track which goes over Mt Aubrey and includes the Reotahi point Walk
- Kauri Mountain Track 3kms – 1.5 hours. Walking from the north side gives great coastal views, from the south side you walk in lovely kauri bush.
- Taiharuru Estuary Walk 7kms– a low tide only walk, 2 hours.